- Made with simple ingredients, this cabbage casserole is so easy to toss together and can be made ahead of time (on the weekend!). The family and the cook will love this simple and comforting dish!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (24 oz) jars marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium head (2 lbs) cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
How To Make Cabbage Roll Casserole
Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until meat is cooked through. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
Drain grease and stir in 1 jar of the marinara sauce, along with the thyme, dill, sage, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in bacon and rice and remove from heat.
Line baking dish with a third of the cabbage. Evenly top with half of the meat/rice mixture. Top with another third of the cabbage, remaining meat mixture, and final third of the cabbage.
Pour remaining jar of marinara sauce over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove foil, top with cheese and bake until cheese is bubbly and melted, 10-12 minutes.
Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy