- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small finely chopped onion
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 c low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) salsa tomatoes
- 3/4 cup raw rice (I use jasmine)
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
How To Make Stuffed Pepper Soup
In a pot or casserole over medium heat, brown the Italian sausage and ground beef; separating as you go.
In the middle of browning, add onions and peppers; stirring several times. During the last minute of browning, reduce heat to medium-low and add chopped garlic, stirring constantly. Drain the excess fat.
Add the beef broth, chicken broth and tomatoes to the salsa and simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the peppers begin to soften.
Add the rice and coat well. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the rice is tender. For best results, serve quickly. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.